Monday 18 February 2013

Mid-Term Break


Can anyone tell me where my four-day weekend disappeared to? It actually seems like about five minutes ago that I finished school on Wednesday afternoon, with lots of plans for work and relaxation during the mid-term break (which is the Irish equivalent of half-term, only shorter!).  And now it’s Monday again...how did that happen?! Last week was super busy (even though it was only three days), what with Pancake Tuesday and Ash Wednesday, along with the usual day-to-day lessons. On Tuesday, I actually made pancakes with my class, which was SO messy but a great laugh – lots of chocolaty faces and some hilarious photos!
So I was definitely ready for a rest during the mid-term break. I did get some nice sleep-ins (sweet!), did a spot of shopping, had coffee shop dates with my Mum, sister and friend, did some lesson planning and resource making...and I scrapped!! It was the first time I had scrapped a 12x12 in ages, but Miss Smith’s inspiration was just too much to resist :D
So this is the resulting layout, which I’ve titled ‘Mona Lisa Smile’. It features a photo I took when I visited the Louvre in Paris last summer. Of course, the main attraction and most well-known piece in the magnificent and extensive gallery is Da Vinci’s famous lady with her mesmerising eyes. I wanted to document the absolute mayhem and throngs of people muscling in around the painting, and how difficult it was to get a decent photo. Though it might be hard to make out from my photograph of the layout, the picture is of another tourist’s camera angled towards the Mona Lisa. I liked the idea of framing the painting in the camera’s viewfinder, and it was by far the most interesting picture I captured in that part of the gallery! The page design is a little different from my usual, and was inspired by the first Telling Tales prompt, which focused on blocking out the design in boxes, and then moving them around until aesthetically pleasing :D It’s definitely an idea I would use again, possibly over a double page spread with more photos.  
 
Hope you have a lovely week...with no more disappearing days!
 
Sinéad
xxx
 
P.S. My photos are either too big or too small! Any ideas about how I can get a size between 'large' and 'x-large'?!

2 comments:

  1. I love the way you have layered this all up, it looks so effective and the journalling tells the story well.
    I work in a school and am enjoying the last few hours of half term, how quickly the holidays go compared to term time!
    Can't help with the photo question I'm afraid but I am sure there is someone out in blogland that can help you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your page is beautiful! I love the colours.

    For photos, you could try resizing to a size you like before you upload and then click the "original size" option.

    ReplyDelete